Good day to you dear people of this world!
Today is our day for the Book Blogger Blind Date (we being myself and Kenya from Booked up and Bossy). I must say that I’m so excited for this 😀
Before I share all the amazing stuff I have in store for you guys, I’d like to mention Jill from Rant and Rave About Books. This would never have been possible without her, since her awesome brain came up with the idea.
So, before we thought of our questions, we each send each other a blurb about ourselves. Both of us came up with seven questions. Are you ready? Here are my questions for Kenya and her answers ^_^ (just be patient! there are pictures at the end :P)
1. This is going to be a bit standard, I know.. but that’s just me haha: Where did you grow up and where do you live now? If you want: What are the three spots you like the most in your city?
I was born in Louisiana but moved to Garland, Texas when I was about 18 months old. I grew up there, though we moved to Grambling, LA for a whole year in the 6th grade for some largely unknown reason and then we moved back. I live in upstate NY right now. My favorite places in Rochester are East Avenue, which makes me feel fancy because of the shops; eating at one of the restaruants on the Genesee River, again, fancy; and my house. My house might sound boring but that’s exactly why I like it. Plus, all my stuff is there.
2. Since we already sent blurbs about ourselves: Did you always want to become a clinical psychologist? If so, why? If not, what did you want to become when you were all grown up?
I always wanted to work with people and I wanted to be in a helper profession. But I didn’t want to go to med school or be a nurse. So, psychologist seemed like a good choice. And the US is finally figuring out that having mental health professionals included in health care is a good idea, so I still work with physicians and nurses a lot.
3. Since were both not that athletic (yeey us), what is the thing you like to do best in your spare time? (except for reading that is :P)
I like to read. Oh, wait. Besides reading? Welp. Besides reading, I volunteer a lot of my time to professional service (I was president of the local psychological association for two years) and with youth- oriented programs in the area. I also do community theatre (as an actor and as a watcher). Rehearsals just started for Rocky Horror. I did a post last year for NaBloPoMo about my “Extra-curriculars:” http://bookedupandbossy.blogspot.com/2015/11/Spare-Time.html
4. You have pets (hurray pets are the best!), how did you find them? and what is the best moment you’ve had with each of them yet?
Jack (named after the monkey from Pirates of the Caribbean) was a stray someone found. We suspect he jumped out of someone’s car window or ran off from someone’s yard, as he has done that to us before. Sophie was my sister’s dog and she could move with my family when they moved to Germany so I took her. That was about 8 to 10 years ago. The ferrets are my kids’ pets, technically. My favorite time with them is just when we’re all sitting around doing nothing… which the ferrets don’t really do too well.
5. Now, there’s bookish business. You read about three books a week (wow… girl… how do you find the time?! Or you’re just a very fast reader, consider me impressed either way). Do you have an alltime favourite? If so, which book is it? And why is it your favourite.
Well, I am a slightly faster than average reader, but I actually read instead of watching TV. So I haven’t any idea what’s going on in the real world or on shows. I don’t have an all- time favorite book. As a child my favorite was The Borrowers and The Secret Garden. For a long time I said my favorite was The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. Sometimes I say it’s The Count of Monte Cristo. I usually have something I love in every book I read. I think that favorite books are really as much about the person and their own current story as it is about the book.
6. Do you prefer hard copies or do you rather use an e-reader (technology huh, keeps surprising me).
I prefer paper and audiobooks. I have an eReader, but I don’t use it that much. I might start using it more since I just signed up with NetGalley.
7. Last but not least: (this is going to be a surprise question *evil laughter thingy going on here*) If you would win a prize that would let you visit any country in the world for two weeks, which country would it be?
Probably Ireland because I like the accent, or New Zealand because that’s where Xena was filmed.
These were the questions! Now here, enjoy some pictures of cute doggies and ferrets:
The three ferrets:
This is the end of my part of the Book Blogger Blind Date! I’m so glad to have been able to talk with Kenya 🙂 It’s really interesting to be able to speak with someone who’s across the ocean, leading a completely different life. Thanks for sharing a part of your life with me, Kenya!