Good day everyone and welcome to another Top 5 Wednesday!
Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly book meme created by Lainey from gingerreadslainey, and is hosted by Sam from ThoughtsOnTomes. If you want to take a look at the Goodreads group, and perhaps even want to join, you can click this link.
Today’s topic is al about the favourite villains, and I LOVE it! I mean, who doesn’t appreciate a well developed villain? There are tons of amazing villain around, and quite frankly, I like some of them more than I like the protagonists :’)
Coming with the topic are of course the guidelines:
It’s been a little while since we’ve done the villain topic, and this one will definitely be a recurring one in the group as there are always new villains to talk about. I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO AVOID HARRY POTTER CHARACTERS!!!! Yes, yes, we all know that Umbridge is the ultimate villain, more hated than Voldemort because she is so realistic. We know that we all love Bellatrix’s particular kind of crazed obsession. We all know that Voldemort is such a classic that he is the first person to jump into our minds. We all know the Dursley’s suck. See? I strongly encourage you to point out some different villains so that Harry Potter doesn’t dominate all the lists. Because as much as we love HP, it does get a little redundant. *jumps off soapbox*
I should be able to do this, right? I wasn’t even planning on talking about Harry Potter anyway, so that makes me safe*huzzah*.
Of course, villains are not always the same for everyone. If you’re one of the people who really loves the villain, then he or she can be your protagonist. So, in that way, I could make this a little more interesting *eyebrowwiggle* for example; a main character can be a villain in the eyes of a lesser character, or someone is known to be a villain but there can be a different explanation for it all, it completely depends on the way you look at it. Here is my Top 5 Favourite Villains! (in no particular order, simply because I think they’re all awesome ^_^) Click the link and you’ll be redirected to my review of the book 🙂
- King Alfred. He is one of the main characters in the Saxon Stories series by Bernard Cornwell. Now, why is he a villain? He usurped the throne from his nephew Aethelwold, who was the eldest son of his brother Aethelred. Of course, Aethelwold was a boy when his father died and he’s absolutely not fit to be a king, but in his perspective Alfred is as great a villain as any.
- A character from The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson. Omg it would be such a spoiler if I mentioned the name, but I won’t mention the name so you just have to read the book yourself to find out. This guy is really THE villain in the book. You can’t have it more clear than that.
- Marisa Coulter from the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. She was a great antagonist, no doubt about that. I also really liked her character in the film where she was played by Nicole Kidman.
- Nimue from The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. The question is, is she really the villain in this book? I chose to put her in this list because she is commonly known as a villain, though this series gives an entirely new perspective on things.
- Adjunct Lorn from Garden of the Moon by Steven Erikson. She is so badass! Yes, she’s horrible and brings death and the like, BUT she wields a sword that keeps her from being harmed by magic. Did I say that she’s badass?
This was my Top 5 Favourite Villains. Do you know any of these Villains? and most importantly, which villains are in your top 5? Please let me know in the comment section below!